The teeth may be considered as the hardest part of the body due to the enamel, but it can still be damaged for certain reasons. Forceful blows, poor hygiene, bruxism, injuries, playing sports without the appropriate mouthguard, or biting down hard objects and foods are only some of the causes of a chipped tooth. But there’s no need to panic! With the advancements in dentistry, having it fixed can easily be achieved.
Seeing a dentist is the best course of action to prevent any further issues, but in the meantime, try to perform these easy remedies.
- Rinse the mouth with warm water to make sure that any potential irritants and blood are removed from the site. Moreover, doing this can also relieve pain. Remember that it is best to use lukewarm water rather than hot to prevent any sensitivity.
- Control the bleeding by applying gentle pressure to the tooth using clean gauze. Replace the bandage if needed.
- To get temporary relief from pain and inflammation, use hot or cold compress on the area.
- Taking over the counter medications can also help ease pain and discomfort. But if there is bleeding involved, avoid blood-thinning medicines like aspirin since it can slow down and even prevent clotting.
- If the chipped tooth has any sharp edges, use a piece of paraffin or sugarless gum to prevent it from damaging any soft tissues in the mouth.
- When eating, make sure to avoid using the chipped tooth. As much as possible, eat only soft foods.
While these home remedies may be useful in extending relief, seeing our team at Legacy Dental is necessary. We can offer x-rays to assess the severity of the fracture. Once determined, we will then suggest restorative treatments such as bonding, fillings, crowns, inlays, onlays, or implants depending on the needs of the patient. We are guaranteed to deliver maximum comfort by repairing the problem and preventing it from progressing further for better overall oral health!
Looking for a dental office that can perform Chipped Tooth Repair in Albuquerque, NM? Book an appointment with us! Legacy Dental have a caring and dedicated staff to help you feel comfortable and pain-free!