Tooth extraction appointments tend to make patients grow anxious since it has gained a negative reputation over the years. Most people believe that the procedure causes extreme pain and discomfort which is why others would rather avoid the process for good. Dentists, on the other hand, would want to save each tooth instead of opting for an extraction.
However, there are instances where tooth extraction becomes the best course of action to avoid dental troubles. As for the eruption of wisdom teeth, for instance, there are some cases that the jaw will not have enough room for these teeth. In return, impaction or infection are more likely to take place.
At Legacy Dental, if a wisdom tooth starts to show signs of problems, we recommend extract it. Although saving the teeth is our goal, if it can do more harm than good, we will opt for the preservation of overall oral wellness. To make sure that our patients will be comfortable during the procedure, oral sedatives or nitrous oxide can be given as part of our sedation dentistry options.
Patients should now be more at ease of the procedure knowing that our dentists would do everything that they can to make them feel comfortable and safe. As to guarantee a successful recovery, here are some of the do’s and don’ts in wisdom tooth extraction aftercare.
- Minimize strenuous activities and get plenty of rest for the first 24 hours.
- Relax and keep the head slightly elevated with a pillow.
- Eating only soft foods after surgery is best to promote clotting on the extraction site.
- Manage pain by taking the prescribed pain medications for better comfort.
- Use ice packs to control swelling and to promote healing. Make sure to keep the pack on and off for 20 minutes or so to keep blood flowing.
- After 24 hours, gently rinse the mouth with salt and warm water mixture. Brushing can be performed, but keep in mind that the extraction site should be avoided.
- Follow other tips given by the dentist for better recovery.
- Do not take any hot substances while the mouth is still numb.
- Avoid any physical activities for at least three days.
- Do not spit or drink from a straw during the recovery period.
- Eating hard, sticky, and crunchy foods is a no-no.
- Do not smoke or drink alcoholic beverages as much as possible.
If you think that you are need of a regular or wisdom tooth extraction, do not hesitate to give us a call at Legacy Dental!
Legacy Dental is always ready to take action for your oral health needs. If you want to experience safe and comfortable Wisdom Teeth Removal in Albuquerque, contact us and book your appointment!